Happy 25th Birthday to me! I had a truly fabulous birthday filled with dinner & drinks with my boyfriend and close friends and even some cupcakes baked by my niece, Vanessa. To further celebrate, I decided to make one of my favorite desserts, tiramisu.
Tiramisu is an Italian dessert that layers lady fingers soaked in coffee or espresso with marscapone cheese. For my 25th I seriously considered having a quarter-life crisis, but the dessert seemed like more fun.
First things first, make your coffee or espresso and place in the fridge to cool. If you use coffee, just be sure it’s stronger than usual. And if it’s not completely cooled by the time you need it, it’s fine. Just don’t over soak your lady fingers because they’ll fall apart. Next, beat together your eggs and sugar until you have a thick, pale yellow cream. Add a bit of the espresso/coffee and stir to combine.
To create chocolate curls, mix together 3oz. of bittersweet baking chocolate and 1 tablespoon of Crisco or other vegetable shortening. Once melted, spread thinly over a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 3 minutes. Using a flat-ended spatula, scrape in a forward motion to create curls. The curls are both adorable and fun, so I recommend giving it a try.
- 6 egg yolks
- 4 tbsp. sugar
- 16oz. marscapone
- 3 c. strong coffee/espresso
- 4 tbsp. dark rum, like Myers
- 37 lady fingers
- Beat together egg yolks for a few minutes until thick and pale yellow. Beat in marscapone. Stir in a tablespoon of coffee/espresso.
- Mix the rest of the coffee/espresso with the rum in a shallow dish.
- Place the lady fingers in, one at a time, for about 5 seconds. Place side by side in a 9×13 pan, breaking them in half where needed to make them fit.
- Spread half the marscapone cream over the lady fingers.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 to create two layers.
- Sift unsweetened cocoa powder over the top and place in the fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
- If making chocolate curls, see above.